IMS is the Institute of Medical Sciences in the BHU Varanasi. It is located in one of the oldest living city of the world. Sushruta Samhita is a living indication which has provided the great contributions to the Medical education. Sushruta Samhita was originated in Varanasi by the Sushruta (first dead body dissector and a number of operational instruments as well as surgical operations are described by the Sushruta). Banaras Hindu University was established in the year 1920 followed by the establishment of the Ayurveda Department in the campus in the year 1922-1927.
IMS BHU Ayurveda
Ayurvedic Aushadhalaya was started for following reasons:
- Prepare ayurvedic medicines.
- Teach students the formulations.
- Ensure availability of ayurvedic medicines to the general public at the most affordable prices.
- A large Botanical Garden was created for getting the raw materials in order to fulfill all the needs.
Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya, the famous personality who was founded the great university known as the Banaras Hindu University, had thought of integrating the finest of Ayurvedic and modern systems of medicine. One day his dream came to real and started the Ayurveda faculty in the campus of Banaras Hindu University in 1922. From the year 1960 the Ayurvedic College became the College of Medical Sciences. Professor K.N. Uduppa was its founder and principal. It has 10 Departments, 9 of them are related to the Modern Medicine and one for Indian Medicine. Faculty of Medicine and faculty of Ayurveda both were started running side by side. The College of Medical Sciences was promoted to the Institute of Medical Sciences in the year 1971. In 1978, the present Faculty was divided into the two faculties which are the Faculty of Ayurveda and the Faculty of Medicine in order to facilitate the independent development of the both faculties.
In order to fulfill the need of O.P.D. and I.P.D. patients, there is an ayurvedic pharmacy and dispensary has opened in the campus. The faculty has its own independent medicinal plant garden having around 200 medicinal plant species for getting the raw materials of the ayurvedic medicine. There is a raw drug museum in the Rasa-Shastra department of Ayurveda. Dravyaguna department has a herbarium as well as the crude drug museum consisting of around 450 herbarium specimens. There is an autonomous library, having course books, theses, variety of journals and manuscripts, for all the students under the campus of the institute. The institute offer separate hostel facility for both the students boys and girls.
Goals and Objectives
- To develop and expand the Ayurvedic education pattern for providing the best health services to patients by using the Ayurvedic medicines.
- To offer the high quality health care to patients.
Units of the IMS
- IMS gym
- IMS library
- UGC immunodiagnostic training and research centre
- Photo art section
- Central animal house
- School of nursing
- Experimental Medicine and Surgery centre
Achievements and Prospects
Banaras Hindu University has become the biggest and prestigious university of Asia. It has spread over in the area of 16.5 sq. This University was established in 1916 by the national leader and educationist, Pandit Madan Mohan Malviyaji. Both of the faculties are functioning under one roof and have general administrative control.
Address and Location of IMS BHU
IMS is located inside the BHU campus at the Lanka Varanasi, UP, India
Phone no.: 0542-2367568, 0542-2307500, 0542-2309450
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Dental sciences
- Faculty of Ayurveda
- Dental Science
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Community Medicine
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Endocrinology and Metabolism
- Forensic Medicine
- Kaumar Bharitya
- Kriya Sharir
- Molecular Biology
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Prasuti Tantra
- Rachna Sharir
- Neuro Surgery
- Rasa Shastra
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Samhita and Sanskrit
- Shalkya Tantra
- Shalya Shalkya
- Sidhant Darshan
- Pediatrics Surgery
- Vikriti Vigyan
- Plastic Surgery
- Radio Diagnosis
- Radiotherapy & Radiation
- Surgical Oncology
- General Surgery
- TB and Respiratory Disease
- P.G Diploma course in the Lab. Technology under the Pathology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- P.G Diploma course in Dialysis Therapy under the Nephrology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- P.G Diploma course in Medical Technology under the Radiotherapy, Radiation Medicine Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Certificate Course in the Intensive Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- Post Doctoral Certificate Course in the Pain and Palliative Care under the Anaesthesiology Department of Faculty of Medicine.
- P.G Diploma course in Panchkarma Therapy under the Kayachikitsa Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- P.G Diploma course in the Ayurvedic Drug Standardization under the Dravya Guna Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- P.G Diploma course in Maternal Health Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- P.G Diploma in Neonatal and Child Care under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- P.G Diploma Course in Kshar Karma under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- P.G Diploma Course in Vikiran and Chhaya under the Shalya Shalakya Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Part Time Certificate Course in the Prasav Vigyan under the Prasuti Tantra Department of Faculty of Ayurveda.
- Full Time Diploma Course in Naturopathy and Yoga Therapy with the 6 months of internship in Rajiv Gandhi South Campus, Barkachha under the Faculty of Ayurveda.
- B.Pharma Degree Course in Ayurveda Department at the South Campus, Barkachha.
- MBBS degree course of 5 and half years including one year internship.
- M.D./M.S. degree courses in all the major specialties.
- Post-Doctoral courses like DM/MCh.
- BAMS degree course of 5 ad half years including one year internship.
- Postgraduate courses like MD (Ay)/MS (Ay) in all the major specialties of Ayurveda.
IMS BHU Hospital
IMS BHU hospital is known as the Sir Sunderlal Hospital (it was named behind the first Vice Chancellor of the Banaras Hindu University) which was started as a 96 bedded hospital in the year 1924 by the Kashi Naresh, Late Prabhu Narayan Singh. The hospital has developed very fast and currently become the six storey building with 1200 bedded modern hospital including both Ayurveda and Modern Medicine. It is the only hospital in Varanasi offering the Tertiary care including the specialty and super specialty services in Ayurveda and Modern Medicine to the patients of various regions of India. It is fulfilling the health care needs of about 20 crore population of the Eastern UP, MP, Jharkhand, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and many neighboring country. It also offers health care services to its own students, teachers and employees.
IMS BHU hospital plays a great role towards the humanity in the disastrous occasions such as providing immediate care to the patients affected in bomb blast or accident.
Services Offered by Ayurveda
- Panch Karma Therapy Centre.
- Labour Room Services with the Navajaat Shishu Paricharya.
- Operation Theatre for Shalya, Shalakya and Prasuti Tantra.
- Modern pathological laboratory for both OPD and IPD patients for diagnostic tests and investigations.
- Radiological services of X-ray and Ultrasonography for the Radio-Diagnosis purposes.
- Ayurvedic pharmacy and dispensary.
- Coronary care unit in the ward of Kaya Chikitsa.
- Side pharmacy facility is there for distributing the free ayurvedic drugs to the patients.
- A kitchen facility in order to offer the free diet and milk to the poor patients.
Front view of the Institute of Medical Sciences
This is the front view of the Institute of Medical Sciences which is located inside the premises of Banaras Hindu University. It has the three storey building which looks very standard and attractive. In front of the building, there is a rounded small park having showers and flowers. The building has AC facility in the classrooms as well. Doctor students are there in front of the building waiting for their scheduled classes.
This is the side building of the IMS, looking great with the greenery in front of it. A small park with attractive plants looks very gorgeous and awesome. The IMS has green, clean and calm environment.
Map of IMS BHU